Indigenous dairy breeds of Cow
- This breed is native to India & is originated from the Gir forests & hills of the Kathiawar region in Gujarat.
- Apart from Gujarat, Gir cow breed is found in states such as Rajasthan, Maharashtra and other states.
- Gir cow is known by different names such as Kathiawari, Bhodali, Desan, Surati, Gujarati, etc.
- The average milk yield for the Gir breed lies in the range of 1200=1800 Kgs per lactation.
- Desi Gir cow milk contains A-2 beta-casein protein.
- No major maintenance structure is required for Gir cow farming.
- Gir cow milk has phosphorus, calcium, potassium, and rich fats, helping keep blood pressure under control.
- The milk produced by this breed strengthens the bone and maintain the health of the teeth.
- Rathi cow is a popular milk cattle breed indigenous to India. This breed is originated from the Ganganagar, Bikaner, and Hanumangarh districts of Rajasthan.
- Apart from Rajasthan, the Rathi cow breed is found in states such as Haryana and Punjab.
- The variants of the Rathi cow breed are Rathi and Rath.
- Rathi cows are well-known as efficient & excellent milkers. The lactation milk yield for this breed ranges from 1062 to 2810 Kg.
- The endurance level of these cows is phenomenal.
- These cows have emerged as a significant source of livelihood.
- Rathi cow breed can survive amid all the climates and are capable of yielding milk even in draught-prone regions.
- Rathi cow milk is a vital vitamin D source and is good for organs such as the heart, eyes, and brain.
- Sahiwal is a breed of zebu cattle and is regarded as one of the best milch cattle breeds originated from the dry regions of Punjab.
- Apart from Punjab, the Sahiwal cow breed is found in states such as Bihar, U.P, Haryana, and various other states in India.
- Some popular names of Sahiwal cow are- Lola, Lambi Bar, Teli, and Mint Kumre.
- The lactation yield of Sahiwal cow ranges from 1600 to 2750 Kg.
- Sahiwal cow milk ensures high-quality milk along with high production potential.
- This cow breed is very popular among the farmers as they can withstand all the weather conditions.
- These cows flourish well by feeding on natural pastures.
- Sahiwal cow milk is useful in tackling various health issues by curing diabetes, cholesterol, and heart-related problems.